In Green Christian we think the climate and ecological emergency is probably the greatest mission challenge the churches have ever faced.
Through our Borrowed Time project we are preparing a range of pastoral resources, including circles of support and public rituals, for navigating the emotional, spiritual and existential challenges that confront us. We invite you to join in one such opportunity.
In eight sessions Deep Waters will offer a safe space where you can meet a small group of other Green Christians. With conversation, reflection, and shared experience, Deep Waters invites you on a journey through climate grief and eco-anxiety, to discover renewed courage, clarity and purpose.
Deep Waters is designed to work both via Zoom and in a physical setting. The sessions will be enabled by experienced facilitators, with readings and other materials provided, and will run on Thursday evenings 7pm to 8.30pm (starting May 27th) May-July 2021, via Zoom.
Registration closes on 26 May.
The sessions: a shared journey
- The stages or ‘faces’ of climate grief
- Helping each other tell the truth
- Creating language and practice for lament
- Befriending mortality
- Wisdom and love
- The place of blame, forgiveness and justice
- Redefining hope
Resources and patterns
- Each other; our sessions and the conversations and practices that we will share;
- A structure to each session that will hold us and become familiar;
- Our own emotions and reflections, interests and passions, perspectives and struggles;
- The materials sent ahead of each session: Readings, poems, images, stories, rituals, questions, quotes;
- Our surroundings and contexts – both natural and social – and our experiences;
- The perspectives of Borrowed Time and its intentions;
- Spirituality that recognises that the challenge is more than economic, political, scientific or technological, and that it is open to new expression and experience;
- Our thinking and reflecting between sessions – the use of a journal is recommended.
Each gathering is anticipated to take around 90 minutes.
- Opening ‘round’: each person invited to contribute a very brief thought / response to the material
- A short silence to sit with what has just been shared
- A poem / image / quote / short video
- Breakout groups to discuss questions
- Feedback from breakout groups
- Ritual space
- Closing ‘round’: What new insight has emerged in this session?
This post will expire on Thursday July 29th, 2021 11:59pm