Devon and Cornwall Police are offering three free Cyber Crime Awareness webinars to parishes this month.
The 45-minute sessions will take place at 10.30am and 1.30pm on June 17 and 1.30pm on June 18. Laura Cowie and Grahame Mace from Devon and Cornwall Police’s Digital Capabilities Unit will be leading the sessions.
Laura has been in the force’s Cyber Protect role since January 2017 after moving from her previous post within the South West Counter Terrorism Unit. She is a strong advocate of raising awareness of the growing threat of cyber crime.
Grahame brings a vast range of knowledge with him from his previous post as Detective Inspector in the City of London Police. Grahame has many years of experience investigating and dealing with fraud and cyber crime, at both local and national level.
During each session Grahame and Laura will discuss some of the recent topics that have been in the headlines. Following each session they will have time to answer any of your questions in relation to cyber crime.
The session will cover the below areas:
- What is cyber crime and why have criminals changed their tactics?
- Who are cyber criminals and the causes of attacks?
- Phishing emails and Smishing – how to spot them, what happens if I’ve clicked on the link?
- Spear phishing and sextortion, how did they get my email and password? And what do I do know?
- Passwords – Practical guidance you can implement to secure the keys to your online world
- Apps – What are you downloading to your devices, are you aware of the security issues
- Where to go for advice and guidance.
- How to report and where.
The aim is to provide advice and guidance, which will allow you to protect yourself from cyber criminals in a easy to understand format, that you will be able to implement in your everyday lives.
To book a place click on the links below:Read more
Post expires on June 18th, 2020