Friday 11th June: Sound the Alarm March, St Ives
On the first day of the G7 Summit Extinction Rebellion plans to hold a creative and artistic, but noisy protest march through the centre of St. Ives. Supporters are invited to “sound the alarm” for climate justice by making as much noise as possible with air horns, drums, rattles and other instruments. The march will feature a large samba band and many pop up theatrical actions.
The theme for the day’s events is a reference to the fact that a wealthy minority of the world’s countries and corporations are the principal cause of the climate and ecological crisis while its adverse effects fall first and foremost on the poor who have done least to contribute to the crisis.
Extinction Rebellion has requested that a delegation of activists from XR and associated movements is allowed inside the security corden surrounding the Carbis Bay hotel to deliver messages from communities on the front line of the climate and ecological emergency to the G7 summit.
Cathy Allen from Extinction Rebellion says: “The delegation is symbolic. It attempts to give voice to the anger of climate vulnerable communities who are not represented at the G7 summit to enable their stories to be heard by the world’s leaders.
“We face a situation of barbaric inequity, where the 50% of the world who contributed so little to our collective climate crisis (7%), are the ones facing the brunt of its impacts, and are also, as usual, the ones who have no voice at all at the G7 table. ”
- 11:00: St. Ives Leisure Centre, Trenwith the Burrows, St Ives, Cornwall TR26 1HB
- 11:00-12:00: Opening speeches and briefing. [photo opportunity]
- 12:00-13:30: Procession from Leisure Centre to Porthminster Beach. Route – Higher Stennack, North Terrace, Tregenna Place, High Street, Market Place, Lifeboat Hill, Market Strand, Wharf Road to Town Harbour Beach, and via beach to Porthminster Beach. [photo opportunity]
- 14:00-15:00: Ceremony and speeches on Porthminster beach followed by a delegation procession to Residents Vehicle Check Point 2 via Primrose Valley. [photo opportunity]
- 15:15 (approx): Rebels disperse.
- 17:00-18:00 : Speeches, music and activities on The Island. [photo and interview opportunities]
Speakers include Lily Stevens a young climate activist from Cornwall, Dr Mya-Rose Craig (Birdgirl), Rob Hopkins and Dr. Gail Bradbrook.Read more
This post will expire on Friday June 11th, 2021 11:59pm