Reset the Debt Webinar : 15 Oct, ONLINE
This event, hosted by Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, and the Reset the Debt campaign is run by The Methodist Church, the United Reformed Church, The Baptist Union and the Church of Scotland, in partnership with Church Action on Poverty.
An estimated six million people in the UK have fallen behind on one or more household bills as a result of Covid-19, and those trapped in poverty have been hit the hardest. This is an urgent problem that demands a solution. It is not right that those with the fewest resources should bear the heaviest burden of the lockdown, potentially for years to come.
The Baptist Union of Great Britain, Church of Scotland, Methodist Church and United Reformed Church, together with Church Action on Poverty, have launched a new campaign to respond to the household debt crisis.
They’re calling on the Chancellor to create a Jubilee Fund, that would provide grants to pay off and cancel unavoidable debt accrued by households during the lockdown period, giving them a more stable platform from which to face the future.
Challenge Poverty Week
To mark Challenge Poverty Week England & Wales, join this webinar to:
- Hear from experts by experience and policy experts about the need for a solution to the household debt crisis brought on by Covid-19.
- Explore why the Biblical principle of Jubilee can be the Church’s distinctive contribution to the debate.
- Get equipped to play your part in the solution.
- Chair: Diane Watts, Interim Team Leader, Faith and Society, Baptists Together.
- The Rt Revd Dr Joanne Grenfell, The Bishop of
Stepney and chair of Capital Mass.
- Cassius Francis, Transforming Communities Together.
- Paul Morrison, Policy Advisor for the Methodist Church.
- Hannah Brown, Campaigns and Church Engagement Officer, JPIT.
Please sign up via Eventbrite.Read more
This post will expire on Thursday October 15th, 2020 11:59pm