05/01/2024 – 13:02
Carrick (Truro, Falmouth & Perranporth & in between)
To help refugee families to become familiar with school life in their new community.
To build a positive home-school relationship where both sides work together to get the best educational outcomes for the refugee children.
To support and empower the refugee family so ultimately they will manage school independently.
- Ongoing liaison with school – dependent on need and school communication systems – it could be that the Schools Lead is copied in on day to day comms, or that school reaches out to you when an issue arises.
- Supporting the family with communication with school, such as reporting absence, joining after-school clubs, and ordering food.
- Supporting the family with transition points in schooling such as moving to secondary school or starting in Reception.
- Ongoing contact for family queries – as and when needed, the family may contact you for clarification or support with a range of school life issues.
- Organisation of homework support – coordinating volunteer homework sessions in the family homes.
- Support for homework club volunteers – they may have queries or issues that have arisen from their sessions and need us to liaise with school, provide guidance or resources.
- Liaising between schools and other tutors – we sometimes engage expert support to help the children with their schooling and act as a communication link.
- Regularly providing reports to the Board
- Informing the Family Lead of any relevant issues to be discussed at the family review meetings.
This role reports to: Chair and Board
As a volunteer you will also have a mentor who will support you and is available to chat through any changes you wish to make, or concerns you may have.
Volunteers receive expenses for any travel associated with volunteering, and any other out-of-pocket expenses such as stationery or equipment.
Location and hours
Home-based, at local schools, and at family homes
Essential and desirable skills and qualifications
Knowledge of the school system in the UK, possibly gained as a teacher, teaching assistant or parent.
Post expires on March 5th, 2024