We have an exciting opportunity within our team for an intern. Over the course of the year they will be able to gain some valuable ministry experience whilst taking particular responsibility for our youth work.
Our hopes are that over the course of the year you will particularly work with us to:
- Establish and develop a thriving youth ministry at New Street Church
- Minister alongside other local churches on outreach and mission to young people, including supporting the Schools Chaplaincy Team in the secondary school
- Develop and extend the growing ‘Youth on Thursday’ missional youth club
- Support our kids ministry, primary schools work and outreach to local families.
We thrilled that as part of your placement you’ll be linked in with ‘Love Falmouth’ (https://www.lovefalmouth.org.uk/) – a local Christian charity that we’re proud to partner with. Headed up by Alex Yarlett and Jen Land, they have great opportunities throughout the year for one-off outreach events and social justice projects such as Winter Coat Pop Up and family fun days. Alex and Jen head up CHAPS (secondary school chaplaincy) and will show you the ropes with detached youth work at the school.
Alongside this we will explore with you other opportunities to serve and to grow in discipleship and leadership. Whether that’s leading services, having a go at preaching, joining the worship band or helping out with the tech side of things, we’re keen to form part of the placement around you, your gifts and your interests.
And it’s really important to us that you feel fully part of the church so we’ll strongly encourage you to join a small group (one of which is for young adults 20s/30s), to come along to socials and prayer meetings, and generally get stuck in with our community. It’s also quite important to say at this point that a lot of our church life seems to revolve around hospitality so plenty of cake, food and pasties will be regularly on offer!
- Clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing personal relationship with Him which is reliant on the Holy Spirit
- Passion for sharing this faith with young people and seeing them grow in their faith and experience
- Genuine interest and excitement about connecting relationally with young people
- Willingness to learn and mature in character, experience and sense of vocation
- Reliable and trustworthy (keeping commitments and carrying through on agreed tasks)
- Able to work on own initiative
- Servant-hearted team player
- Desire to grow in prayerfulness
- Experience of working with young people in church and school settings
- Good communication & interpersonal skills with adults as well as younger people
- Interest and experience in one or more of: worship, sound/AV tech, comms (canva/instagram/tiktok)
- Able to use word, e-mail, and other Microsoft Office programmes
To be confirmed but most likely with a church family.
A draft timetable could look like the following, although we would want to shape it further around the particular interests and experience of the intern.
AM: Toddler group PM: Cluster EVE: Free
AM: Primary schools work PM: Preparation EVE: Free
AM: Team meeting/supervision PM: Free EVE: small group
AM: Secondary School Chaplaincy PM: Free EVE: Drop-in youth club
AM: Study PM: 1:1s with youth EVE: Free
SATURDAY – DAY OFF
AM: free PM: church/youth work EVE: join with students