Update 18 August 2020
Updates on singing & the use of wind musical instruments and the addition of links for government guidance for Scotland & Wales
- Guide to Using Your Worship Space
- Guide for Weddings
- Guide for Funerals
- Guide for Face Coverings
- Cleaning Churches during Covid-19
Update 10 August 2020
Updates on the following to include the more detailed guidance on when to wear face coverings:
Updated on 30 June 2020 in light of current Government Guidelines
The Government announced that Places of Worship can open in England from 4th July with certain restrictions. However, the decision to re-open a church needs serious consideration and a thorough understanding of what is required in terms of planning and health and safety requirements. There is no compulsion to re-open if Managing Trustees do not feel it can be done safely, or it is too soon. As our guidance states:
- It needs to be well planned, both before the opening and kept under review once the building is in use.
- Do not assume that you can immediately do things ‘as you used to do’ and accept that saying ‘no’, ‘not yet’ or ‘not like this’ can be positive decisions.
Guidance must be read in the context of where you live as devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales may have different guidelines. If a local lockdown has been introduced, then those guidelines must be followed. Please refer to www.gov.uk/coronavirus for updated information.
For any activity in a church building, there are 2 assessments to take which underpin any activity.
- If a church building has been closed, please refer to the Re-Opening a Building Checklist (Word) v2 or (pdf version).
- A Covid-19 Risk Assessment v5 (Word) or (pdf version) with an Action Plan. This assessment will help trustees to think through what needs to be put in place in terms of social distancing, good hygiene and cleaning regimes. The government now states that a risk assessment on Covid-19 is mandatory to comply with H&S regulations.
Further guidance can be found on:
- Official Coronavirus Guidance from the Methodist Church
- Methodist Insurance
- TMCP’s Covid 19 FAQ’s section
If you have a specific question, please contact your District Property Secretary or Property Support.
- Principles for the opening of churches
- Cleaning (30 June)
- Opening for Worship and Prayer (30 June)
- Any other property uses (30 June)
- Property Projects and Repairs (26 June)
- Legionella (26 June)
- Covid-19 Funding (30 June)
- Looking after empty church buildings
This post will expire on Sunday November 1st, 2020 9:58am