When it comes to health and wellbeing, once a week works – this appears to be the rhythm of human life and we think it could form the basis of a new national preventative health service.
In this new paper, State of Life measured the health and wellbeing beneﬁts of weekly religious attendance and physical activity alongside previous work on volunteering.
● Attending church every week has the same wellbeing beneﬁt as playing sport and physical activity.
● If you are both physically active and attend church in the same week, you get double the beneﬁt.
● If you also volunteer, you have three times the wellbeing beneﬁt. And volunteering is integral to the provision of both sport and church.
● The optimum way to invest your time to beneﬁt your wellbeing is to go to church, play sport, and volunteer once a week – faith, hoops and charity.
● If an individual did all three of these activities, every week, it would be the equivalent in wellbeing terms of an unemployed person ﬁnding a job or self-employed work.
Post expires on October 13th, 2021