Update 23 Sept 2020:
Newquay Foodbank has proudly joined The Trussell Trust, which gives us increased unity with other local foodbanks aswell as a louder voice in government to discuss the real crisis of food poverty. (Nothing will change with regards to the collecting of food parcels and session times and set ups.)
The Newquay foodbank seeks to be the source of light and hope to those who have fallen on hard times, whether it is through the loss of a job, injury or other matter. Newquay Foodbank works with other supporting agencies to locate those who need us not just in Newquay but in many surrounding areas.
The Newquay Foodbank is an independently run foodbank which was set up in 2011 to support Newquay and the surrounding areas. Started out of a small room in St Columb Minor church by a handful of volunteers, the Foodbank had the aim of supporting any and all who found themselves in desperate need of our help. Since those early days the demand for the Foodbank has unfortunately increased. Now working alongside several agencies the Foodbank has branched out to 2 further sites, now meeting at St Michaels Church on a Friday and the Oasis Centre, St Columb Major on a Saturday. All three venues kindly offer their premises free of charge to the Foodbank recognising the vital role we play in supporting the community.
Our aim is to ensure anyone who comes to us gets the right help from the right people, to get themselves back onto their feet.
In the 2019/20 FY we gave out 1522 Food Parcels to those in desperate need. This includes basic essentials, such as fruit, veg, eggs, milk and shelf food to support that individual or family for 3 meals a day for 3 days. based on the average cost of this it works out at approx. £40,630 worth of food last FY. This cost is greatly reduced by the amazing donations we continue to receive in at our donation points around Newquay and the surrounding areas.
In 2020 we became a member of the Independent Food Aid Network, spreading the message concerning the very real food crisis Nation Wide and helping us to work hand in hand with other similar charities to tackle this problem head on.
Thank you all for your ongoing support!
How to Access a Foodbank Voucher:
1. Go through one of our recognised Agencies: Citizens Advice; Adult Social Care; Health Visitors; Pivotal; Some of the local Churches; Social Prescribers; Cornwall Housing; DISC; We are With You (Used to be known as Addaction); Community Mental Health Team; Probation Service; Disability Cornwall; Early Help Team.
2. If you are not in touch with one of these agencies then please call us on 07810 271202. Here you’ll talk to our Foodbank Co-ordinator, Sara who will refer you to a referral Agency or talk you through the next steps to access support. You can also find support from us at:
3. If you are desperate and need food straight away, we can give one box on self referral basis and then from there you would be referred to an agency. You can do this by coming to a session or contacting us on the details above.
Tuesday – 1000 – 1200 – Session – St Columba Church, St Columb Minor, TR7 3EY
Fridays – 1200 – 1400 – Session – St Michaels Church, Newquay, TR7 1RA
Saturday – 1000 – 1200 – Session – Oasis Centre, St Columb Major, TR9 6RH
Donations: Preferably at local dropboxes in supermarket donation points but also during foodbank opening hours. Local supermarket donation points:
· Newquay Morrisons, Treloggan Road, Newquay TR7 2GZ
· Newquay Sainsburys, The Whim, Alma Place, Newquay TR7 1NF
· Newquay Asda, Oakleigh Terrace, Newquay TR7 1RN
· Newquay Aldi, Cliff Road, Newquay TR7 1SW
· Perranporth Co-Op, Station Road, Perranporth, TR6 0DD
If you would like any further information whether that be to request support or offer it, please contact us on 07810271202.
Financial donations: You can donate directly to support the work of Newquay Foodbank via the purple donate button on the home page of their website: http://www.newquayfoodbank.co.uk/
|Tuesday: 10am – Midday St Columba’s Church, St Columb Minor, Newquay, TR7 3EY
Friday: Midday – 2pm St Michael the Archangel Church, St Michael’s Road, Newquay, TR7 1RA
Saturday: 10am – Midday The Oasis Centre, 26A Fore Street, St Columb Major, Saint Columb, TR9 6RH